Friday, March 2, 2012

Good things in life never come easy

If you've ever spent any time with me during a spring semester at BSU, you already know that February and March are generally ten times busier than the rest of the year for me... This year is no exception!

While I have backed off on some of the things that usually take over my life this time of year, there have been plenty of other things to take their place.  Aside from the fact that one of my professors is literally trying to kill our entire class, and I want to punch him on a daily basis, I've been pretty busy and stressed about non-school related things too.

One of my big stresses lately has been preparations for the Alternative Spring Break trip I will be going on.  I have been on one other ASB trip before, but was not on the Advisory Board at the time, so I pretty much showed up to orientation meetings once a week and then went on the trip and did volunteer work.  Since then, I have been on the Advisory Board for two Fall Break trips, but was unable to participate in last year's spring break, so this has been a new experience for me.  Planning an ASB trip is stressful.  Even when I'm not actively working on something for it, I've been worried about whether or not certain things were going to get taken care of in time or whether we were ever going to get our last fundraiser taken care of and whatnot.  As much as I absolutely love ASB, part of me has been thinking that I almost wish I were not on the Board for this trip so that I could just be along for the ride again and not have to worry about all these details.

And then I think, "Who am I kidding?"

At this point, I've been involved in SVS long enough and been on enough alternative breaks to know that I would probably be incapable of just being "along for the ride."  Inevitably, if I weren't on the Board, I would be just as stressed because I would want to be a part of things, but wouldn't have any authority to do so and would be completely out of the loop.  As much work as preparing for this trip has been, things finally started to come together last week, and I am fully confident that this trip is going to be amazing! 

One thing I am learning through all this is that sometimes the things we are passionate about are a lot of work.  You can't just wake up one day and say "I think I'll go to Alabama with 30 other amazing students from my school and do some Tornado cleanup" and get the same type of experience that you do when you have months of preparations behind it.  As the trip is getting closer, I am getting more and more excited about it, and I can already tell that the stress of the last few weeks is gonna be totally worth it. Someone's gotta make those preparations, so it might as well be me!


No comments: