Okay, so far, the one thing I’ve learned from my 60
Day Running Challenge is that working out while traveling is nearly
impossible! Especially if it’s not a “lounge
on the beach and relax” vacation where you have endless amounts of time. During these 60 days, I’ve had one volunteer
trip and one business trip… both completely disrupted my workout routine. Whether it’s a long day of driving or flights
get delayed or you lose time with a time zone change, it’s pretty tough to do
any exercise on the days traveling to or from your destination… So those days
are pretty much a loss from the start.
Then there’s the days leading up to the trip where maybe you are busy
doing laundry or packing, or maybe finalizing travel plans… It’s tough to find
time to exercise! Then you’ve got the
trip itself… On the volunteer trip, I was basically busy all day and then
exhausted in the evenings. In reality,
the volunteering itself was a workout – spending an hour lifting 50 pound bags
of dog food or spending 5 hours in the hot sun moving debris from a disaster
area are not exactly couch-potato activities! – but that meant I did not stick
to my plan to actually run in the evenings.
On the business trip, I was partially at the mercy of my schedule and my
co-workers schedules, as well as trying to do some sightseeing. Again, I did a decent bit of walking, so some
might consider that a workout, but I did not do any running. And traveling was just one of many things
that threw a wrench into my plans…
At this point, I’m on Day 45 of my 60
Day Running Challenge and have only actually run for 21 of those 45 days. I
had two streaks of 10 days in a row, and one random other day. I’m at
a less than 50% success rate, which is pretty disappointing. And right now, I’m feeling very overwhelmed
with some other things going on in my life, making it even more difficult to
find time to run. I know I always feel
better after a run, but I feel like I have to sacrifice time from something
else important in order to do it.
I don’t want to give up, but I do feel that I need to
reprioritize a bit until I get a few things under control. The entire point of my 60 Day Challenge was
to make exercise a habit, and I’m not doing that if I’m skipping 2 weeks at a
time. My hope was that by making running
(and exercise in general) a daily habit, I would be able to keep at it even
when life gets crazy… Unfortunately, life got crazy before I had a chance to
develop the habit. Trying to make your
own changes in life when life is trying to make other changes for you is a
tricky thing to do.
So unfortunately, I think this is the end of my “60 Days of
Running” – at least for now. I am not
giving up on making exercise a habit though, so keep an eye out for an upcoming
post about what I’ll be doing instead!
No comments:
Post a Comment