Saturday, August 23, 2014

Healthy Eating on a Budget



If there is one thing I can’t stand, it’s hearing people say things like “I can’t afford to eat healthy!” or “Healthy food is too expensive!”  Okay, technically there are a lot of things that drive me nuts, but this is pretty high on the pet-peeves list.  Now to be fair, I’m not an expert, and I’ve spent the past two years living with my parents after finishing undergrad, so I haven’t had to grocery shop a whole heck of a lot recently.  But I know during undergrad I ate relatively well for a college student, and my grocery receipts weren’t anything outrageous.  Now that I'm out living on my own again, I am determined to continue to make healthy choices, AND not go completely broke in the process.

As I prepared to move back out on my own, and on a grad student’s income at that, I spent a lot of time brainstorming and researching all the ways I can save money while still eating a healthy diet.  And while I do get annoyed by people who say that healthy food is just too expensive, I also understand that this will be challenging. 

That’s why I’m putting together this series of blog posts on the topic!  These posts will help me to organize some of these strategies, as well as keep myself accountable, because I don’t want to become a fraud who blogs about healthy eating on a budget and then lives off of Ramen noodles all semester!

This blog series is not a step-by-step guide on how to feed a family of four for 30 bucks a week, nor is it any sort of diet plan or a set grocery list and budget.  These posts are simply a series of tips and tricks I am using to meet my own goals, that I think others can benefit from as well.

Below is a list of planned topics I’ll discuss in this series, and I will update the list with links to the individual posts once they are complete.  Feel free to comment below with other topics you’d like to hear about, but for now this series will include the following posts, updated about once a week or so.

Healthy Eating on a Budget:
Defining “Healthy”
Meal Planning in 6 Easy Steps
The Freezer is Your Friend
Avoiding Food Waste
Soups – And Other Cheap Meal Ideas!
(Healthy) Eating Out on a Budget

No comments: